Changes coming to Borough Trash and Recycling Services: Single-Stream Recycling Collection
Starting Thursday, March 5, 2020, Clarks Summit Borough recycling collection is changing to one time every other week collection. Please follow the calendar and zone map to follow the schedule for curbside recycling collection. Recyclables should be placed out the night before your scheduled collection day.
Clarks Summit Borough offers “single-stream” recycling program. Everything that your household recycles will now go in the same container. No need to separate papers, metals, cardboard, glass and plastics, etc.
J. P. Mascaro & Sons will pick up recyclables every other week on Thursday or Friday with a separate truck that collects recyclables, the truck will only collect recyclables during collection. This truck has a compactor, so more recycling material will fit in allowing for more efficiency.
Bulk Item Collection
One (1) bulk item collected once a week. Bulk items will be collected on your trash day. Bulk item such as washers, dryers, water heaters and Christmas trees are considered as bulk. White goods such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioning units, require a sticker showing that the freon is removed prior to placing the items curbside. Other items such as sofas, futons, mattresses (wrapped in plastic), tables, chairs, etc…can be put out as a bulk item.
Acceptable Bulk Items:
• Carpet rolled and tied maximum length 48”
• Construction and Demolition debris cut to
maximum length of 48”
• Washers, Dryers, Dishwashers
• Other household items too large for
regular weekly collection
See attached for more information: 2020 Clarks Summit Trash and Recycling Flyer
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! The Borough of Clarks Summit has vacancies on their Shade Tree Commission. If you are interested in volunteering to fill a seat, please email Virginia Kehoe at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions please feel free to call her at 570-585-4800.
HERE are the 10 safest places to live in Pennsylvania for 2019 according to Homesnacks.net:
- Fox Chapel
- Franklin Park
- Clarks Summit
- Castle Shannon
- Camp Hill
- Grove City
Clarks Summit is situated in Northeastern Pennsylvania, about seven miles away from Scranton. The northern terminal point for Interstate 476 is in our town and it is 1.58 square miles. It is surrounded by South Abington Township to the west, south, and east and Clarks Green and Waverly to the north.
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,116 people, 2,216 households, and 1,407 families residing in the borough. The population density was 3,197.5 people per square mile (1,234.6/km²). There were 2,324 housing units at an average density of 1,452.5 per square mile (567.4/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 97% White, 0.7% African American, 0.1% Native American, 1.2% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 0.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.4% of the population.
There were 2,216 households, out of which 25.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.2% were married couples living together, 9.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.5% were non-families. 32.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 18.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the borough the population was spread out, with 21.3% under the age of 18, 58.3% from 18 to 64, and 20.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45.4 years.
Several north American Indian tribes settled and moved through what is now northeastern Pennsylvania. The Wyoming Valley was occupied by the "Six Nations". A boundary disputer with the State of New York was settled, and the forty-second parallel became Pennsylvania's northern boundary. A much more serious argument with Connecticut threatened to obliterate the forty-second parallel boundary and substitute the forty0first as the northern limit of the state.
The Connecticut title to the northern part of Pennsylvania arose from the interpretation which Connecticut placed upon its sea-to-sea charter of 1662. In theory, at least, the western boundary of Connecticut was the Pacific Ocean. The Connecticut Colony claimed all this land, with the exception of any "then possessed by other Christian prince or state." This exception forced Connecticut to leap over New York, but it did assert ownership of a strip of territory from the Delaware River westward to the Mississippi River.
In 1753 Connecticut people organized the Susquehanna Company for the purpose of acquiring Wyoming lands from the Indians and settling New Englanders upon it. Governor James Hamilton officially protested to Governor Roger Wolcott of Connecticut, without any result.
As Connecticut settlers took up land in the Wyoming Valley, the issue became serious enough for fighting to occur. Several so-called Yankee-Pennamite Wars (a confrontation of unbelievable brutality as one of its bloodiest battles, the Wyoming Massacre, will attest) were fought, but still the Penns could not evict the New Englanders. By 1774 there were almost two thousand Connecticut people in the Valley. At this point Connecticut formerly took possession by making the region into the New England town of Westmoreland within the County of Litchfield, Connecticut. Soon there were 5,000 New Englanders in the area which, since 1772, had been part of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.
Unable to evict the invaders, Pennsylvania decided to appeal to a higher authority, but it had to await the formation of such an authority. The beginning of the end of the controversy was the establishment of the Confederation under the Articles on March 1, 1781. This allowed for disputes between states to be resolved through a petition to Congress. Pennsylvania did petition, and Congress gave orders. On August 3rd, 1782, the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania consented to the nominees for the court, which met in Trenton, New Jersey. After hearing both side, the court gave its decision, usually nominated the "Trenton Degree", on December 30th, 1782, in favor of Pennsylvania.
POST REVOLUTIONARY WAR
Following the War, Congress had little or no money. To pay the "American" soldiers, land was given to them to settle. One of these first settler/soldiers was William Clark, who fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill and was with Washington at the Battle of Trenton. He was given 800 acres of land in Pennsylvania and was one of the first settlers to come to "Ebington", as it was then known.
The parcel granted to William Clark was part of the land in dispute and when he went to verify his deed at the land grant office in Luzerne County, he was told that his claim was worthless, and if he wished to settle on the land he would have to pay for it. Historical records have William Clark and his three sons arriving in the Abington wilderness around the middle of March, 1799. William Clark built his log cabin on the hill where the Clarks Green Cemetery is now located.
Early settlers faced many obstacles in their efforts to gain a foothold in what were mostly hostile surrounding. At that time the Abingtons as we know it today was part of Tunkhannock Township, an area covering 41 square miles. The main industry was farming. Confounding their efforts, was the need to fight a constant battle against wolves. A serious, persistent threat menacing human life and livestock.
TURNPIKES & RAILROADS
Companies were formed and turnpikes were created, charging tools. One of the first of these was the Philadelphia and Great Bend Turnpike. It was chartered by the Pennsylvania Legislature in 1818. It connected two rivers, the Delaware and the Susquehanna, and was a direct route north from Philadelphia to New York State. From Stroudsburg the turnpike wound its way over the Poconos to Dunmore, then toward Chinchilla.
In 1824 Thomas Meredith (first Treasurer of the United States) obtained a charter for a railroad from the mouth of Leggett's Creek to Great Bend on the Susquehanna. The road was surveyed but failed for lack of funds.
On October 15th, 1851 the first train traveled from Great Bend to Scranton. With the arrival of the Northern Electric Railway in 1907 Clarks Summit finally came into its own. Not just Clarks Summit but the entire Abington area.
CLARK SUMMIT BOROUGH
"Now, August 30, 1911, the Court, after a full investigation of the above case, finds that the conditions prescribed by law have been compiled with, and believing it expedient to grant the prayer of the applicants, do hereby order and decrees that the village of Clarks Summit in the Township of South Abington, said County, and the land immediately adjacent thereto, be and the same hereby incorporated into a Borough, in conformity with the prayer of the petitioners, by the corporate name of the Borough of Clarks Summit."
First school 1893 the "graded School" was built on the south side of East Grove Street (the building was destroyed by fire from lightning 2 years later).
Oldest House 1837 is on West Grove Street. Formerly owned by several generations of the Snook family, the house is to the north of the Abington Community Library.
Oldest family run business, 1911, Bunnell Hardware, South State Street.
April, 1950 the borough manager form of government was adopted.
1953 a Bond Issue was approved for $125,000.00 to build the current Borough Building.
March, 1982 Allied Summit Apartments (Senior Housing) was opened on Linden Street.
October, 1983 the Hayes-McDade Apartments (Senior Housing) on Bedford Street was completed.
For an EXCELLENT source of information about Clarks Summit, see "Clarks Summit A Narrative" by Helen R. & John C. Villaume. A copy is available at the Abington Community Library.